Asian Small Clawed Otters Webcam
Immerse yourself in the rivers of the world and watch our Asian small-clawed otters splash around in the Southern Company River Scout gallery.
The Asian small-clawed otter makes its home in Southern India, Southern China, Southeast Asia, Indonesia and the Philippines. It lives in freshwater wetlands and mangrove swamps and spends more time on land than in the water. This otter is active mainly during the day, and may be seen sliding on mud banks, foraging in the shallows and chasing others through the water.
Asian Small-Clawed Otter Facts
- Smallest of the 13 species of otter
- Eats crabs, fish and mollusks
- Forms lasting monogamous pairs; young may stay with parents into adulthood
- A social species; lives in extended family groups of about a dozen individuals
- Communicates using at least a dozen different calls
- Member of the mustelid family related to badgers, minks and weasels