World Oceans Day Celebration
June 5-8, 2014 at Georgia Aquarium
The Georgia Aquarium invites you to join us as we celebrate World Oceans Day from June 5-8, 2014. This amazing day will use Atlanta's very own ocean, and the world's most magical Aquarium, to expose visitors to the wonders of the oceans, and how they affect us every day, in an educational and engaging manor and environment.
Daily activities include:
Friday, June 6 at 1 p.m. and Saturday, June 7 at 12 noon
- Emmy-winning television host, author and biologist, Jeff Corwin has worked for the conservation of endangered species and ecosystems around the globe. Guests of Georgia Aquarium will have the opportunity to purchase one of Jeff’s books, meet him and have their book autographed.
Saturday, June 7 at 2 p.m. and Sunday, June 8 at 12 noon
- Recycle Runway Eco-Event:
- Public artist and advocate Nancy Judd creates couture fashion sculptures made from trash. Nancy uses her elegant sculptures to stimulate conversation, action and education about sustainable living. Her works have been included in the Smithsonian’s permanent collection and she has created custom commissioned fashion sculptures for Delta, Toyota, Coca-Cola, Target and more.
- Nancy will host a Recycle Runway Eco-Event for Georgia Aquarium guests. Combining art and eco-consciousness, she will help guests create their own recycled artwork to take home as a memento of their visit.
Sunday, June 8 (World Oceans Day)
- 9:30 a.m. Screening of NatGeo WILD’s Fish Tank Kings
- Register to win a four pack of tickets to a screening of Fish Tank Kings in the Oceans Ballroom at Georgia Aquarium and then stay all day to enjoy World Oceans Day activities. 30 First Place Winners will be chosen; click HERE to register.
- Can’t get enough of the water? Catch Fish Tank Kings on NatGeo WILD, Wednesdays at 10 p.m.
- 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.: Special Events
- Join our community partners Fernbank Museum of Natural History, Disney’s The Little Mermaid, Center for Puppetry Arts and The Home Depot and visit their interactive stations for fun, entertaining projects and activities.
- Georgia Aquarium is dedicated to conservation and protecting the earth and the waters of our world. We’re celebrating World Oceans Day as part of Party for the Planet! Special World Oceans Day activities will include:
- a special Deepo’s Chat show
- an Ocean Mysteries Scavenger Hunt
- Make Your Own Manta Ray Marionette with Center for Puppetry Arts
- interactive games including “Trash and Animals,” Recycling Prize Wheel, Beluga Plinko Game and more
- Pledge to protect our Earth and oceans and you’ll take home a souvenir bookmark that includes a seeded “Earth” that you can plant at home and watch it grow!
- 3:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.: Premier of “Explore!”
- Brothers Young Productions has created large scale puppets including hermit crabs, a seahorse, a whale shark and sea stars exclusively for Georgia Aquarium. Guests will be entertained by these amazing, large scale puppets on parade.