Dr. Alistair Dove
As senior scientist, Dr. Dove is responsible for carrying out research activities for the Georgia Aquarium and administering collaborative research with our partner institutions; he is the current chair of the Research Committee. Dr. Dove also serves as the manager of the Veterinary Services Laboratory, where staff and volunteers carry out veterinary diagnostic testing and water quality analyses for the collection.
Dr. Dove obtained a 1st class Honors degree in Zoology and Parasitology in 1994 from the University of Queensland, Australia, studying parasites of jacks (a predatory fish group) on coral reefs. His PhD studies focused on the ecology of parasites infecting invasive fish species in Australian lakes and rivers, for which he was awarded a Deans List commendation and a University Medal.
After moving to the USA in 2000, Dr. Dove served as Curator of Aquatic Animal Health at the New York Aquarium in Coney Island, Brooklyn. He then spent five years as a marine science professor for both Cornell University and Stony Brook University and established the first NY State marine diagnostic laboratory in Stony Brook, NY. From that base, he worked with many scientists and students in New England, researching the impacts of climate change on the health of coastal marine life, especially lobsters, striped bass, bluefish and clams. From 2001-2004 he also served as an adjunct faculty member at Columbia University, teaching classes in symbiosis and coral reef ecology.
Dr. Dove joined the Georgia Aquarium team in 2006. His research interests continue on the theme of “health in aquatic animals”, with a current focus on parasites of marine life (a collaboration with UGA) and the biology of whale sharks (a collaboration with GA Tech). Since 1994, he has been awarded 8 research grants and has published 28 scientific articles on topics ranging from parasite ecology, invertebrate diseases, taxonomy and the biological impacts of climate change.
In addition, he is an active participant in the scientific community of aquatic animal health professionals and is a member of several societies, holding committee positions for the American Fisheries Society and the American Society of Parasitologists. He continues to teach aquatic animal health through the AQUAVET program taught annually at Woods Hole MA, and is an adjunct faculty member at UGA, Cornell College of Veterinary Medicine, Stony Brook University and Savannah State College.
- Bernard Marcus - Benefactor, Chairman of the Board, CEO
- David Kimmel - President and Chief Operating Officer
- Dr. Greg Bossart - Chief Veterinary Officer & Senior Vice President, Veterinary Services
- Matthew P. Hodgdon - Senior Vice President, Chief Financial Officer
- Billy Hurley - Chief Animal Officer & Senior Vice President, Husbandry
- Carey Rountree - Senior Vice President, Sales and Marketing
- Beach M. Clark, Jr - Vice President, Information Technology
- Kristie Cobb Hacke - Vice President, Development and Membership
- Joe Handy - Vice President, Guest Experience
- Scott Higley - Vice President of Marketing and Communications
- Timothy Mullican, DVM - Vice President, Veterinary Services and Husbandry
- Will Ramsey - Vice President, Group Sales
- Dr. Bruce A. Carlson - Science Officer
- Dr. Tonya Clauss - Chief Veterinarian
- Dr. Alistair Dove - Senior Scientist