Vice President, Guest Experience
As Vice President of Guest Experience at the Georgia Aquarium, Joe Handy is responsible for the guest experience at the world's largest aquarium. Handy oversees the guest services and guest interaction departments, which include all programs, activities, the 4D Theater and special exhibits. He is also responsible for the Aquarium’s education department, overseeing the development of educational programming for students and teachers. Handy also oversees the Audio/Visual, Exhibits and Graphics, Training and Volunteers, Maintenance and Environmental Operations departments. Handy also acts as a liaison for all third party vendors.
Handy was born and raised in New York. He graduated with honors from The College of New Rochelle in New York with a Liberal Arts degree concentrated in political science. While in New York, Handy worked at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City for nine years and assisted in opening the Rose Center for Earth and Space.
In 2005, Handy moved to Atlanta to serve as the Georgia Aquarium’s Director of Visitor Services. In late 2006, Handy was promoted to Vice President, Visitor Services and Guest Programs and later named Vice President, Guest Experience.
Handy is also an active member in his community. In New York, he served as an appointed representative to a Community Board in Manhattan. In 2004, he was elected to serve as a Delegate in the Presidential Election. Handy currently serves on the Baker Street Advisory Board where he and other representatives from the Centennial Olympic Park area help make critical decisions about the area’s development. He is a member of the Central Atlanta Transportation Study Downtown Transportation Committee, as well as an active member in the Association of Zoos and Aquariums.
- Bernard Marcus - Benefactor, Chairman of the Board, CEO
- David Kimmel - President and Chief Operating Officer
- Dr. Greg Bossart - Chief Veterinary Officer & Senior Vice President, Veterinary Services
- Matthew P. Hodgdon - Senior Vice President, Chief Financial Officer
- Billy Hurley - Chief Animal Officer & Senior Vice President, Husbandry
- Carey Rountree - Senior Vice President, Sales and Marketing
- Beach M. Clark, Jr - Vice President, Information Technology
- Kristie Cobb Hacke - Vice President, Development and Membership
- Joe Handy - Vice President, Guest Experience
- Scott Higley - Vice President of Marketing and Communications
- Timothy Mullican, DVM - Vice President, Veterinary Services and Husbandry
- Will Ramsey - Vice President, Group Sales
- Dr. Bruce A. Carlson - Science Officer
- Dr. Tonya Clauss - Chief Veterinarian
- Dr. Alistair Dove - Senior Scientist