Tonya M. Clauss
As Chief Veterinarian for the Georgia Aquarium, Dr. Tonya Clauss serves as the head clinical veterinarian, managing all clinical cases, including the treatment room and surgery suite.
Clauss received her first bachelor’s in Animal Biology from the University of Florida in 1996 and her second bachelor’s in wildlife ecology and chemistry in 1997. In 2003, Clauss received her doctorate in veterinary medicine from the University of Florida. Clauss completed one more year to graduate with a master’s from the University of Florida’s Environmental Engineering department.
In 1994, Clauss began her career as a veterinary assistant for the Williston Veterinary Clinic in Florida. During this time, she also worked as a veterinary and research assistant at the Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences at the University of Florida. In 2001, Clauss became a workshop and wetlab assistant at the North American Veterinary Conference, located in Orlando, Florida. In 2003, Clauss accepted a position as staff veterinarian at the Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium in Sarasota, Florida. Clauss was hired as director of veterinary services for Pelican Man’s Bird Sanctuary in Sarasota in 2004. While at this position, Clauss became a research affiliate for the Florida Aquarium in Tampa, a position she held until December 2007. In February 2005, Clauss accepted a position as chief veterinarian for the Georgia Aquarium.
Clauss has received specialized training in numerous areas, ranging from reptile critical care medicine, to immunology for aquatic animal clinicians, to aquatic invertebrate medicine. Clauss has taught veterinary courses at various institutions, including the University of Georgia and the University of Florida. Along with several speaking engagements, Clauss is also a published author. She has participated in many research studies and professional presentations. Clauss has won various awards, including the 2003 Learner Family Wildlife Conservation Award for excellence in wildlife and zoological medicine.
Clauss is a member of many professional affiliations, including the American Veterinary Medical Association, the Association of Zoos and Aquariums and the Association of Exotic Mammal Veterinarians. She currently serves as a student liaison committee member for the International Association for Aquatic Animal Medicine and is a research committee member at the Georgia Aquarium.
- Bernard Marcus - Benefactor, Chairman of the Board, CEO
- David Kimmel - President and Chief Operating Officer
- Dr. Greg Bossart - Chief Veterinary Officer & Senior Vice President, Veterinary Services
- Matthew P. Hodgdon - Senior Vice President, Chief Financial Officer
- Billy Hurley - Chief Animal Officer & Senior Vice President, Husbandry
- Carey Rountree - Senior Vice President, Sales and Marketing
- Beach M. Clark, Jr - Vice President, Information Technology
- Kristie Cobb Hacke - Vice President, Development and Membership
- Joe Handy - Vice President, Guest Experience
- Scott Higley - Vice President of Marketing and Communications
- Timothy Mullican, DVM - Vice President, Veterinary Services and Husbandry
- Will Ramsey - Vice President, Group Sales
- Dr. Bruce A. Carlson - Science Officer
- Dr. Tonya Clauss - Chief Veterinarian
- Dr. Alistair Dove - Senior Scientist