SizeCommon width is 3 inches (7.7 cm). Common height is 1.3 inches (3.2 cm)
HabitatTurtle grass flats, sand and gravel bottoms and among mangroves
- Coloration varies: green, white-pink, brown-red, red-purple. High density of short and stout spines. Scale-like plates surround anus.
- Common width is 3 inches (7.7 cm). Common height is 1.3 inches (3.2 cm).
Variegated urchins often carry bits of shell, plant material and other debris with their tube feet.
- Diet consists of seagrasses.
- Occurs in the Western Atlantic from North Carolina and Florida, through the Bahamas and the West Indies.
- Found in turtle grass flats, sand and gravel bottoms and among mangroves at depths to 180 feet (55 m).
- “Not Evaluated” on IUCN Red List.
- Tube feet often carry bits of shell, plant material, and other debris.
- Will rarely aggregate at densities up to 250 individuals per square yard, decimating areas of seagrass.
- Typical density below one individual per 2 square yards.
- Meinkoth, Norman A. Field Guide to Seashore Creatures. Chanticleer Press, Inc. New York. Pg. 690.