Interns in the Life Support Systems (LSS) Department will learn about the operation, care and upkeep of Georgia Aquarium’s 42 aquatic animal exhibits, water and associated filtration systems. Interns will shadow staff as they monitor all phases of aquatic animal water & filtration systems as well as the condition of aquatic animal life support systems equipment. Interns will work with more senior aquarium staff to provide a safe and healthy environment for our diverse aquatic animal collection. The intern will frequently interface with and shadow other Zoological Operations staff including water quality lab technicians, animal care & training staff and other LSS staff regarding water chemistry parameters, filtration equipment adjustments and exhibit or habitat modifications. This is an experience based unpaid internship. There is no academic credit offered for this internship.
Three shifts per week (flexible); day shifts (weekdays or weekends available)
Minimum Required Hours per Week: 24
- Desire to learn critical aquarium keeping skills associated with maintaining a diverse collection of Fish & Invertebrates including sharks, rays and live coral.
- Desire to learn critical aquarium keeping skills associated with maintaining a diverse collection of marine mammals & birds including dolphins, belugas, penguins and otters.
- Ability to perform basic tasks, such as making artificial seawater and making minor adjustments that are associated with supporting all live animal exhibits from a water quality, habitat maintenance and filtration equipment operations standpoint.
- Have a strong desire to learn how to operate and make minor adjustments to aquarium filtration equipment including automated control systems and all types of filtration systems including sand filters and protein skimmers.
- Ability to learn the use of proper test equipment, including water quality monitoring equipment as well as the ability to learn basic equipment & hand tool operation.
- Above average computer skills. Proficiency with MS Windows & MS Office products is a must.
- Be a self-motivated team player.
- Ability to:
- Lift and carry 40 lbs.
- Bend, stoop and kneel for long periods.
|Deadline||August 15||January 15||April 15|
|Semester Months||September – December||February – May||June – August|