Size3.5 inches (8.4 cm)
DietForages on the bottom
- Flagtail catfish can reach a maximum size of about 3.5 inches (8.4 cm).
- The base color of its head and body is grey/brown, the upper half of the body is covered with small black spots, while the lower half is silvery.
- The distinguishing characteristic of the species is its caudal (tail) fin that is strikingly marked with horizontal black and white stripes.
- A pair of barbels is found on each side of its snout.
The flagtail catfish is a South American fresh water fish occurring in the Amazon River basin.
- Forages on the bottom like most catfish species, though it can also hunt insect larvae and crustaceans from the middle of the water column.
- Flagtail catfish is a South American fresh water fish occurring in the Amazon River basin.
- “Not Evaluated” on the IUCN Red List.
- In the same family as the familiar corydoras catfishes (Callichthyidae) commonly found in retail aquarium stores.