Size6 in (15 cm)
HabitatCoral reefs and lagoons
- Maximum length of 6 inches (15 cm).
- Coloration varies from one location to another; ranges from yellow-orange to a deep pinkish red with a brighter pink bar extending from the eye to the base of the pectoral fin. Dorsal, pectoral, pelvic and caudal fins may have darker coloration of orange-red to red-pink.
Orange fairy basslet males are territorial and form harems.
Diet / Feeding
- Diet consists of zooplankton.
Range / Habitat
- Occurs in the Indo-West Pacific from the Red Sea and South Africa to Japan and Australia.
- Found near coral reefs, and lagoons at depths of 180 feet (55 m).
Reproduction & Growth
- Males are territorial and form harems. Males spawn nightly with females.
- Protogynous hermaphrodite; females may change sex to replace males lost from a social group.
- “Least Concern” on the IUCN Red List.
- Also known as the “lyretail anthias.”
- Forms large aggregations.